Sunday Igboho
Highlight

Sunday Igboho Ends 4-Year Self-Exile, Returns to Ibadan

745
Advertisement




After about four years in self-imposed exile, Yoruba Nation activist Chief Sunday Adeyemo, widely known as Sunday Igboho, has returned to Nigeria.

His homecoming follows reports that his name was cleared from the Federal Government’s wanted list under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Upon arriving in Ibadan on Monday, Adeyemo made his first major public appearance since 2021, heading straight to the palace of the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, a former governor of Oyo State, to pay his respects.

Confirming Igboho’s return to the country, his spokesperson, Olayomi Koiki, said: “As I’m speaking to you Chief Sunday Adeyemo is on his way to Olubadan Place. He should be there any moment from now.”

Koiki, who described the moment as historic, also said “This is a moment of hope for Ibadan land and the entire Yorubaland. Chief Adeyemo is no longer being sought by government authorities and is free to return home.”

Igboho had been living in the Benin Republic after fleeing Nigeria following a security operation at his Ibadan residence.

Persecondnews recalls that Igboho, a Yoruba Nation agitator, had faced intense persecution under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.

On July 1, 2021, operatives from the Department of State Services (DSS) and the Nigerian Army raided Igboho’s home in Ibadan, resulting in a violent confrontation that left two of his associates dead and 13 others arrested.

Following the raid, Igboho was declared wanted by the Buhari administration, which accused him of stockpiling arms and ammunition.

His Nigerian passport was withdrawn, and his bank accounts were frozen despite favourable court rulings.

See also  VP Yemi Osinbajo pays condolence visit to Customs boss Col Ibrahim Ali

Igboho fled Nigeria and was later arrested at Cotonou Airport on July 19, 2021, while attempting to travel to Germany with his wife.

He was detained for nearly two years before his release in March 2022.

In December 2023, the ECOWAS Court declared Igboho’s detention in Benin Republic a violation of his fundamental human rights and awarded him N26.3 million in compensation.

Igboho has since been cleared to return to Nigeria after prominent Yoruba monarchs intervened and secured presidential approval from President Bola Tinubu.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Breaking: Disastrous WAFCON/World Cup Runs:NFF Fires Super Falcons Coaching Crew

Following an unprecedented dismal performance in the just-concluded WAFCON in Morroco, the...

Osun Poll: Situation Room Nigeria Flags BVAS Glitches, Vote Buying, Logistics Gaps Ahead of 2027

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Despite a peaceful turnout for Saturday’s Osun governorship election,...

How NDLEA Denied Traffickers N301Bln in Illicit Drug Investments

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nearly 330 tonnes of illicit drugs that could have...

Flood Disaster Hits Abuja: 74 Vehicles Submerged as Several Areas Ravaged

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The aftermath of the severe weekend flood in Gudu,...