Highlight

Arise TV Anchor’s Death Not Caused by Alleged Hospital Negligence – FCT CP Adewale

"Policemen moved to the scene and found her lying unconscious. She was immediately taken to Maitama General Hospital, where doctors tried to resuscitate her using CPR, but sadly, she could not make it"

1.1k
Advertisement




The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has officially debunked rumors that Arise News correspondent Somtochukwu Maduagwu’s death was caused by hospital negligence.

Amid ongoing speculation, FCT Commissioner of Police Ajao Adewale clarified the matter during a Wednesday, October 1, interview with Arise News.

He stated that officers found Maduagwu unconscious at the scene and were the ones who rushed her to Maitama General Hospital.

This statement contradicts earlier reports alleging that her death was linked to negligence at the facility.

“Policemen moved to the scene and found her lying unconscious. She was immediately taken to Maitama General Hospital, where doctors tried to resuscitate her using CPR, but sadly, she could not make it,” Adewale said.

According to him, the robbers invaded Unique Apartment, a three-story twin building with 18 flats, located around the Gishiri axis of Katampe, under the Mabushi Divisional Area.

“Some unknown armed robbers gained access into Unique Apartments where Sommie lived. Two private security guards were on duty. One of them, who had the courage to challenge the robbers, sustained a gunshot injury.

“In the panic that followed, Sommie, who lived on the topmost floor of the building, jumped down from the third storey. The consequences were tragic and very unfortunate.

“FCT Command once again commiserates with the family of Sommie, the Arise News family, and Nigerians deeply touched by this ugly and disturbing incident,” Adewale said.

The CP said an investigation team, led by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (Investigation), had been set up to track down the attackers, assuring that “no stone will be left unturned until the perpetrators are brought to justice.”

See also  Women Affairs Minister Grieves Over Death of Arise TV Journalist in Abuja Robbery Attack

“We have set up a specific investigation team headed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Investigation, with all tactical units involved to track down the culprits. The leads we are getting are already being worked on, and no stone will be left unturned until the perpetrators are brought to justice,” he said.

Persecondnews had earlier reported that Maduagwu died following a robbery attack late Monday night at her residence in Abuja.

Arise News officially announced her death on Tuesday, September 30, expressing deep sorrow over the loss, and attributed her death to alleged hospital neglect.

The tragedy has drawn nationwide reactions.

The Nigerian Guild of Editors(NGE) and several journalists have condemned the incident, citing rising insecurity and alleged negligence by emergency medical personnel.

Prominent figures, including President Bola Tinubu, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, and Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, have mourned the late journalist and called for justice.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Wunti’s Expertise Positions Nigeria to Maximise Return to World Energy Council — Former OPEC Chief, Aduda

Nigeria’s return to the World Energy Council (WEC), backed by the appointment...

Adeleke: Dancing Is My Hobby, Doesn’t Affect Governance, Extends Olive Branch to Opponents

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Re-elected Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke has defended his...

UBEC Reopens Second-Chance School for Girls, Young Mothers in Lagos

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Girls and young mothers whose education was interrupted by...

Faleke to Davido: Face Your Music While We Face Our Politics

By Segun Adebayo James Faleke, a member of the House of Representatives,...