Highlight

FCTA Revokes Park Licences, Orders New Screening of Operators

742
Advertisement




The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has revoked all park licences in Abuja and directed operators to resubmit their documents for a new vetting process, potentially paving the way for licence reallocation.

FCTA Director, Department of Development Control, Murktar Galadima, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen on Wednesday, September 3, while justifying the demolition of Boulevard Park, Maitama, Abuja.

Persecondnews reports that the FCTA carried out the demolition in Maitama on Tuesday, September 2, over violations of park policies and distortion of the Abuja Master Plan.

Galadima explained that the decision to withdraw park licenses followed a memo jointly submitted by the Directors of Parks and Recreation and Lands to the Minister of the FCT, highlighting several inadequacies and violations associated with parks management in the FCT.

He said the new directive offers park operators the opportunity to resubmit their documents to the Department of Parks and Recreation for review.

“If they meet the terms and conditions, they can be reallocated. Owners of parks should respond to the call, submit their documents, and if they meet the requirements, they will return to their parks,” he said.

The Director stressed that the decision was not taken to deliberately witch-hunt park operators, but it is part of efforts to restore order and compliance with existing policies.

“There is nothing like witch-hunting. All park allocations have been withdrawn following a series of violations, and the Minister is at liberty to do whatever he wants to do with land in the FCT, parks inclusive,” he stated.

See also  16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi, turbaned

On the recent demolition of Boulevard Park, Galadima clarified that operators were duly notified before enforcement, pointing out that the park had long violated its terms of allocation, operating in direct contravention of recreational policy.

“Boulevard Park was allocated for recreational purposes, but the activities taking place there are a total violation of the park policy in terms of operation. Boulevard has violated all the terms and conditions,” he said.

He noted that monitoring park operations was the primary responsibility of the Department of Parks and Recreation, adding that parks were expected to submit concept designs for approval before operations commenced.

However, lapses in monitoring had led to widespread abuse.

“The FCT is a creation of law, and lawlessness will not be tolerated. The development of the city is guided by law, and every operator must comply with the terms and conditions of their allocation,” Galadima said.

He announced that a ministerial committee had been set up to review all allocations and uses of parks, to ensure they were serving their original recreational purpose.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Osun Gov. Adeleke Visits Aso Villa, Presents Certificate of Return to Pres. Tinubu

President Bola Tinubu received Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke at the Aso...

Flourish Her Africa, iLEAD Africa Train Abuja Youth on AI, Digital Safety

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Young professionals, creatives, business owners, and NGO leaders were...

E-Hailing Services Not Banned at Nigerian Airports – FAAN

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) clarified that...

US Backs NDLEA’s Anti-Drug Operations, Promises Continued Partnership

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The United States has pledged to build on its...