HighlightSports

Abandoned Ugborodo FIFA Goal Project: Contractor Cites Funding Constraints

"The FIFA stadium construction site was not initially meant to be a three-hour boat ride deep in the Atlantic Ocean. But Mr. Pinnick, using his influence as NFF President, changed the project site to Ugborodo—which is three hours away from any road network—without considering the costs of constructing so far out into the Atlantic Ocean."

1.4k
Advertisement




The Ugborodo Escravos ‘Atlantic’ FIFA Goal Project, a Nigerian football infrastructure initiative, is now mired in controversy and accusations of abandonment.

However, Monimichelle Sports Facilities Construction Limited, the project’s contractor, has refuted these claims.

In a statement on Friday, the company cited a lack of adequate funding as the primary reason for the project’s stagnation.

According to Monimichelle CEO Ebi Egbe, the company was not given sufficient opportunity to visit the site before construction began.

He stated that the terrain proved to be far more challenging than initially anticipated.

“The FIFA stadium construction site was not initially meant to be a three-hour boat ride deep in the Atlantic Ocean. But Mr. Pinnick, using his influence as NFF President, changed the project site to Ugborodo—which is three hours away from any road network—without considering the costs of constructing so far out into the Atlantic Ocean,” Egbe said.

He disclosed that the project has faced numerous challenges, including faulty drawings, lack of soil test reports, and changes to the project site.

Egbe said: “The drawings handed over to them for the Ugborodo project were not properly approved by the Delta State Ministry of Lands and Housing because they were faulty.

“We raised concerns. However, it took the then NFF consultant six months to correct the faulty drawings on the structural design of the Ugborodo pavilion that was approved by Delta State Ministry of Lands and Housing.

“The project site was initially meant to be sited in Warri South West Local Government for $1,080,000, but former NFF President Amaju Pinnick moved it to Ugborodo without considering the cost implications.

See also  World Cup 2026 Opens Amid Ticket Backlash And US Visa Denials

“The project’s cost was valued at over $3.5 million due to the terrain, but the NFF has only paid $500,000 in two tranches, deducting over $100,000 as Nigerian tax despite FIFA donations being tax-exempt.”

Egbe reiterated that he is committed to completing the project and has proposed appointing independent quantity surveyors to evaluate the project cost.

“We have had series of meetings with FIFA and the NFF in Abuja about the Ugborodo project. In our last meeting, we resolved that FIFA/NFF and Monimichelle Sports Facilities Construction Limited should appoint independent quantity surveyors to evaluate the Ugborodo Project,” Egbe stated.

“The company is willing to return to the round table to discuss the modalities for completing the project, but the right thing must be done.

“Constructing 300 miles deep in the Atlantic Ocean is no cheap, the NFF should release my project funds so we can get the project completed,” Egbe said.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Alleged Abuja Police Brutality: Journalist Beaten with Electric Cable, Phone Destroyed

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah Police operatives in Lugbe, Abuja, have been accused...

Concerns mount over Ogogo’s health as colleagues hold special prayer session

By Segun Adebayo Colleagues of veteran Yoruba actor Taiwo Babatunde Hassan, widely...

2027 Election: Atiku Vows to Bring Back Fuel Subsidies

Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate for 2027,...

Nigeria, UAE Move To Tackle Four-Year-Old Visa Challenges Head-On

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are advancing...