Highlight

Kano court remands 632 protesters, face looting, vandalism charges

1.3k


Kano State’s mobile court on Tuesday ordered the remand of 632 people accused of vandalizing government assets and looting shops and other properties during last week’s #Endbadgovernance protest in the state.

They are facing charges that include conspiracy to commit a crime, theft, unlawful gathering, incitement of public disturbance, trespassing, and intentionally causing fire damage.

The three senior judicial officers who presided over the cases are Senior Magistrate Ibrahim Mansur-Yola, Senior Magistrate Hadiza Rabiu-Bello, and Chief Magistrate Abba Muttaka-Dandago, in that order.

Previously, Mr. Salisu Tahir, the state’s Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), informed the court that the defendants had committed the alleged offences on August 1.

He claimed that on the same day, August 1, the defendants, while participating in the nationwide #Endbadgovernance protest, illegally entered and damaged government and public properties in the state.

The DPP told the court that the defendants broke into people’s shops and looted their goods.

The prosecutor stated that the alleged offences violated the provisions outlined in sections 97, 287, 229, 336, 349, and 247 of the Penal Code.

During the court proceedings, some defendants entered guilty pleas, while others maintained their innocence.

Following the court session, State Attorney General Mr. Haruna Isa-Dederi addressed the media, revealing that the state government had established three mobile courts to facilitate the prosecution of the defendants.

He said: “I pleaded with the Kano State Chief Judge to allow the constitution of three Special Courts within the premises of the state police command because of the number of defendants involved.”

See also  Update: CBN revokes Heritage Bank's operating license, appoints NDIC as liquidator

Isa-Dederi stated that the Ministry of Justice would thoroughly review the case diary and provide guidance before the next adjournment.

The case has been adjourned until August 19 for hearing.

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

ASUU Threatens Industrial Action, Alleges FG of Reneging on 2025 Agreement

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Five months after signing the 2025 FG/ASUU Agreement, the...

Major Boost for Nigeria’s Anti-Drug Fight as EU, UNODC, ECOWAS Endorse 2026–2030 Strategic Plan

By Omoyeni Ojeifo As part of measures to intensify the fight against...

FG Creates New Departments to Boost Care Economy, Women Affairs Minister Announces

By Omoyeni Ojeifo As the Federal Government moves to institutionalize caregiving within...

Nigeria’s 1st Caregivers Summit Pushes for Value-Based Parenting

By Omoyeni Ojeifo In a major step toward reshaping childcare, the Federal...