HighlightTrending Story

Senate backtracks, screens Keyamo after tendering apology

996
Advertisement




Just like the prodigal son, Mr Festus Keyamo (SAN) on Monday showed some remorse and tendered an apology to the Nigerian Senate which had earlier suspended his screening as the 48th ministerial nominee of President Bola Tinubu.

Persecondnews reports that Keyamo, who told the Senate while introducing himself that paternally he is from Delta State, and maternally he is from Ilaro, Ogun State, suffered serious embarrassment when the Deputy Minority Leader, Sen. Darlington Nwokocha, raised a Point of Order to step down the screening of the former Minister of State for Labour and Employment for being disrespectful to the 9th National Assembly.

Keyamo, who was summoned to appear before the House under ex-President Muhammadu Buhari to explain the N52 billion Public Works Scheme for youths under his purview, had failed to honour the invitation.

The Senate had during Tuesday’s plenary session, dissolved into closed-door session after the suspension of the screening.

Nwokocha said: “I move that we suspend forthwith screening of the nominee and wait until when this is cleared.”

Senate President Godswill Akpabio had run to the Presidential Villa while the three hours closed-door session was ongoing.

Persecondnews reports that Keyamo was finally screened after he tendered an unreserved apology for his attitude towards the 9th Senate.

As soon as he was ushered back into the hallowed chamber of the Senate he said: “ I apologise to the Senate. I am sorry, I am sorry and I am sorry.”

He went further to clarify the N52bn public works scheme.

“Regarding that programme, the account was handled by the World Bank. So, we, the head of the agencies, never saw one kobo. We only generated the list and the money was paid directly to the people’s account,” Persecondnews quotes Keyamo as saying.

See also  Watch moment Ministerial Nominee, Dr. Bosun Tijani was questioned over his tweet against Nigeria during his screening by the Senate

He said: “For the sake of transparency every detail of that account was captured and kept in a file.

“All the records of the beneficiaries and their data are in the ministry.”

Author

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Eid ul Mawlid: FG Declares August 25 Public Holiday

By Omoyeni Ojeifo The Federal Government has declared Tuesday, August 25, a...

FG to Diplomatic Missions: Bypassing Official Channels No Longer Welcome

By Omoyeni Ojeifo Foreign embassies in Abuja face a tighter diplomatic environment...

Edo Governor’s Feud with Davido Escalates: Singer Barred From State Over WAEC Result Leak

By Segun Adebayo Apostle Kassy Chukwu, Senior Special Assistant on Digital Media...

Just in: Senator Dumps APC

Citing unresolved fallout from the APC’s recent governorship primary election, Senator Saliu...