Top Story

Buhari blasts critics over “failure’’ to remove Naira-petrol subsidies, says it would have cost APC, Tinubu 2023 polls

407

“For those with short memories, many of those subsides were all in place when president Buhari was elected to office in 2015: all those in place were gone by May 2023 – including the annual fertilizer subsidy that weighed 60-100 billion Naira (that’s trillion naira in about 10 years – yes you read that right) heavy on the federal budget each year’’

Breaking his silence since he left office on May 29, former President Muhammadu Buhari has slammed critics of his administration for allegedly failing to remove subsidies for both the Naira and petrol, describing them as people with short memories.

Buhari said if he had removed the last subsidies busting the nation’s budgets, his party – the All Progressives Congress (APC) would have lost the 2023 elections and by extension, its candidate, Bola Tinubu.

According to him, political expediency takes the place of repositioning the nation’s economy and its currency.

The immediate president said: “Removing subsidies for the Naira and PMS was cued and put on hold. Look for example in the Petroleum Industry Act.

The important decision was kept for a better time. It could not have come at a time when tensions were high in the country and no responsible leader would have added fuel to the fire.

“In the view of many-including those in the security circles- only a new administration with goodwill that fills a warehouse can attempt this, and here now comes in the wit and grit of the Tinubu government.

“Finally, we must be politically honest with ourselves. The Buhari administration in its last days could not have gone the whole way because the APC had an election to win. And that would have been the case with any political party that was seeking election for another term with a new principal at its head.

“Poll after polls showed that the party would have been thrown out of office if the decision as envisaged by the new Petroleum Industry Act was made.

“For those with short memories, many of those subsides were all in place when president Buhari was elected to office in 2015: all those in place were gone by May 2023 – including the annual fertilizer subsidy that weighed 60-100 billion Naira (that’s trillion naira in about 10 years – yes you read that right) heavy on the federal budget each year.

“So no, Buhari didn’t remove the petrol subsidy – but in vitally important stages he removed every other budget-busting, egregious, economic-growth-crushing subsidy along the way.’’

Buhari’s reactions to the bashings and indictment he got from the current Bola Tinubu government and Nigerians are contained in a statement, titled:“Buhari Didn’t Fail To Remove Subsidy’’, pushed out by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, and given to Persecondnews on Monday in Abuja.

It stated: “Why did it take the new Tinubu/ Shettima presidency weeks to remove the petrol subsidy when Buhari didn’t do so for years fails to ask the right question.

“The massive electricity subsidy. The fraudulent fertilizer subsidy. Hajj/Christian Pilgrim subsidies. Remember them?

The diesel subsidy. The aviation fuel subsidy. LPFO. Kerosene. Cooking gas and the other subsidy policies we found in place, and put them firmly on the ground. Remember them?

“So far I have refrained from answering these repeated questions on the removal in Nigeria of subsidies on Premium Motor Spirit, PMS and that arising from the dual rates of the Naira in the Central Bank and the parallel market: Why did Buhari “fail” to do these?

“First of all, my thinking is that instead of the former President answering this question, it is the Party, the All Progressives Congress, APC that is best suited to speak and failing to do this, we are forced to say what will follow here.

“Secondly, we are mindful of the fact that with a Tinubu/Shettima presidency now in place and for which there is a “New Sheriff in Town.”

Buhari said he did not want to distract the new administration from the task before it or take the shine out of it, nothing that the Tinubu government had taken a good advantage of the current goodwill it enjoys.

“We do not want to distract them from the onerous tasks facing them and the nation. Neither is it our wish to take the spotlight away from them in any way.

“In terms of the timings of the decisions to remove fuel subsidy and unify the currency, the Tinubu/Shettima administration has done overwhelmingly well. Even more importantly, they have been most dexterous in managing the aftermath of the decisions by successfully avoiding any crisis.

“To this extent, our wish and prayers are that fellow countrymen will continue to support the new leadership in these very laudable decisions and, in particular, for the Labour leadership and civil society to work with them to ensure that the palliative efforts as promised are successfully implemented.

“The decision to remove subsidies, as in our case – and we believe in all situations – was not for the President to take all by himself.

“That’s why it’s important to remind ourselves – and all those who have conveniently forgotten – that Buhari administration had been on this pathway from the very beginning in 2015.

“With the election now behind us, a capable leader as we now have in place is best positioned to move forward. We have nothing but confidence that the new administration will carry the nation and all its constituents into a stable future in the aftermath of these major economic and financial decisions.

“As they say, there are times when you have to lose in order to win,’’ Buhari further stated.

 

Leave a comment

Related Articles

CBN Debunks Introduction of N5,000, N10,000 Notes

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has disowned a circular claiming the...

Pres. Tinubu off to France again on 2-week working visit

President Bola Tinubu will depart Abuja for Paris, France, on Wednesday, on...

Shake Up in NNPCL, Board, Group CEO Replaced

President Bola Tinubu has made significant changes to the Nigerian National Petroleum...

Breaking: Despite Security Concerns, Sen. Akpoti-Uduaghan Receives Heroic Welcome in Kogi

Kogi Central Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan has arrived in her constituency, defying attempts...

Rivers Chief of Staff Alleges N5bln Bribe Offer to Facilitate Fubara’s Impeachment

Edison Ehie, the Chief of Staff to the suspended Rivers Governor, Siminalayi...

Tinubu reveals how he almost quit 2023 presidential race amidst daunting odds

President Bola Tinubu on Saturday night shared a personal anecdote, revealing that...

First Lady, Remi, pens lovely felicitations to hubby, Pres. Tinubu @73

The First Lady, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, has congratulated her husband, President Bola...

Skyscraper Collapses in Thailand After Powerful Earthquake Hits Region, Multiple People Trapped

A high-rise building still under construction in Bangkok collapsed after a powerful...

Tony Elumelu Named to IMF’s Advisory Council on Entrepreneurship, Growth

Founder and Group Chair of Heirs Holdings, Tony O. Elumelu, CFR, has...

Just in: Reps backtrack on death penalty, immunity bills

In a stunning U-turn, the House of Representatives has reversed its stance...

Just in: Senate throws out motion to rename INEC hq after Prof. Nwosu

The Senate has rejected a proposal to rename the Independent National Electoral...

Just in: Bisola Kola-Daisi, late Oyo Gov. Ajimobi’s eldest child, 42, dies in London

Mrs. Bisola Kola-Daisi, 42-year-old eldest child of the late former Governor of...

Tinubu Reinforces NCDMB Governing Council with Strategic Nominees to Drive Industry Growth

President Bola Tinubu has reinforced the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board...

NASS Moves to Strip Vice Presidents, Governors, Deputies of Immunity, Bill Advances

A bill aimed at stripping the vice president, governors, and their deputies...

Natasha’s suspension: Sen. Nwaebonyi, Ezekwesili Engage in Heated Exchange at Senate Committee Hearing

…you are a hooligan – Ezekwesili A Senate hearing on a fresh...

NCS seizes N125m worth of smuggled petrol in largest bust in recent times

In a significant blow to fuel smugglers, about 125,000 litres of Premium...

Just in: Judge hands off Natasha’s case, cites Akpabio’s petition

The legal battle between suspended Sen. Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and the Nigerian Senate...

Explosion Rocks Soku Gas Pipeline in Rivers 72 Hours After Administrator’s Security Meeting

A devastating explosion has occurred at the Soku gas pipeline along the...