The March 28 terrorists attack, bombing of the Abuja Kaduna rail track and shooting of passengers has left in its trail fatalities, among them are a female medical doctor and an APC Youth leader returning from the party’s National Convention in Abuja.
The names of the deceased among other yet to be identified victims are given as Dr Chinelo and Mohammad Amin Mahmood, who contested the Northwest APC Youth leader at the convention.
The Kaduna State Government has also confirmed that fatalities were recorded in the terrorist attack in a statement on Wednesday by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr Samuel Aruwan.
Aruwan, however, did not state the number of death recorded but said dead victims and those injured had been taken to hospitals.
Persecondnews reports that the medical doctor had twitted before she gave up the ghost:“I’m in the train. I have been shot please pray for me’ after she sustained a gunshot injury during the attack.’’
Her friend via his Twitter handle this morning disclosed that she didn’t make it.
Read Also: Fatal Kaduna train attack: Deceased female medical doctor was to relocate abroad April 1, says friend
“Just woke up to a sad news, just woke up to losing a close friend who was shot at the Abuja Kaduna train incident by terrorists.
“She tweeted yesterday that we should pray for her. Sadly she didn’t make it….why…I’m heartbroken. I was just here yesterday tweeting and asking if there were medical personnel on the train who could offer emergency services.’’
Kaduna Government, however, said evacuation of the endangered passengers had been concluded while those injured had been taken to hospitals.
“Evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded this morning by security forces, officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and Nigerian Red Cross.
“Passengers, who sustained injuries, and other fatalities, have been moved to hospitals. The passengers were evacuated from different hard-to-reach areas in forests and rocky locations in Audujongom, off the Abuja Kaduna Road.
“As stated yesterday, the Kaduna State Government is still liaising with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to ascertain the list from the passengers manifest for efficient tracking,’’ the statement said, commending those who participated in the evacuation and appealed to the hospitals to attend to the victims diligently.
It said the governor had also directed the Ministry of Health to be in contact with the hospitals, noting that the government would bear the cost of treatment.
“As of the time of this update, search-and-rescue operations are in progress.’’
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has announced the “temporary suspension’’ of its service along the Abuja-Kaduna route.
The suspension is following Monday’s attack by gunmen on a train conveying passengers from Abuja to Kaduna.
“Dear passengers, due to unforeseen circumstances, Train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route has been temporarily suspended.
“Further Communication would be given in due course,” the corporation wrote on its verified Twitter handle.
Persecondnews had reported that armed terrorists launched an offensive on the Abuja-Kaduna train with about 970 passengers onboard on Monday night, shooting at the passengers while some were kidnapped.
The terrorists were reported to have detonated bombs on the track and derailed it between Katari and Rijanan route.