INEC
HighlightNewsTrending Story

Again, 2 more INEC offices torched in Southeast

982


The spate of attacks and destruction of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) offices in the Southeast continues unabated with two offices in Ebonyi State set ablaze in the early hours of Wednesday.

The offices are in Ezza North and Izzi local government headquarters.

Persecondnews recalls that INEC Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu had announced that at least 21 of the Commission’s offices had so far been destroyed or burnt.

According to Mr Cornelius Ali, INEC’s spokesman in the state, the hoodlums set all the offices ablaze consuming generators, voting cubicles and other vital materials.

He said:”Early this morning, we got a report that some persons have attacked and set our local government area offices in Ezza North and Izzi local government areas ablaze, destroying valuables belonging to the commission.

“When we got there, we saw that buildings housing our offices have been razed while generators, cubicles and other INEC materials in these offices have been completely destroyed.”

He said the management of the commission had undertaken assessment visits to the affected offices with a view to ascertaining levels of destruction.

Ali, however, allayed fears that the attack might affect the forthcoming continuous voter registration exercise scheduled for June 2021.

“The arsonists have inflicted heavy loss on the commission but the attack won’t deter it from carrying out its statutory responsibilities to the people.”

READ ALSO: Coup alert: Presidency fingers religious, past political leaders

Author

See also  Edo Elections: No Voting Without a Face Mask - INEC Chairman

Leave a comment

Related Articles

Tinubu’s Reforms Reviving Mining Sector, Attracting Fresh Investments — Alake

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, on Thursday said the...

NNPC Questions Dangote Refinery’s Capacity To Solely Meet Nigeria’s Fuel Demand

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited has accused the Dangote Petroleum Refinery...

Sen. Kingibe Cleared as Court Dismisses Suspension Lawsuit

A Federal High Court in Abuja has struck out a suit seeking...

FG, Meta Launch AI Chatbot for Govt Services in Local Languages

The Federal Government has partnered with Meta to launch GovGuide Nigeria, an...