A second death has been recorded in Nigeria from the COVID-19 pandemic, according to the Health Minister, Dr Osagie Ehanire.
Announcing this on Monday during the Presidential Task Force Briefing on COVID-19 in Abuja, the nation’s capital, he said: “Till date, three persons have been discharged after successful treatment.
“But sadly, another fatality was recorded over the weekend in the person of a patient who had severe underlying illnesses.
“We have intensified contact tracing and our strategy remains to promptly detect cases, isolate them, and follow up with their contacts and also isolate and treat, in order to reduce the spread of the infection.”
“As of today, the 30th of March, 2020, we have recorded 111 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria of which 68 are in Lagos, 21 in the FCT, seven in Oyo, three in Ogun, two in Bauchi, two in Edo, two in Osun, two in Enugu, and one each in Benue, Ekiti, Kaduna and Rivers States,” Ehanire said.
He stressed that Nigeria has 111 confirmed cases of COVID-19, pointing out that a majority of them came into the country from overseas.
“The highest number of confirmed cases is in Lagos and Abuja because they serve as the major gateways to the country.’’
On efforts to mobilize more personnel for the fight and management of the virus, the minister said all retired but able-bodied staff of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the Federal Ministry of Health were being recalled.
Ehanire warned Nigerians to protect the elderly among them, as well as those having underlying health issues as they were the most vulnerable.
Persecondnews had learnt earlier that the CEO of Fancy Hotel, Owerri, Christogonus Aguwa Osuagwu, who had just returned to Nigeria from Europe, where Corona Virus is on rampage, ravaging had died.
“ Instead of subjecting himself to test, he flew to Abuja where he died yesterday. All efforts by NCDC to trace him proved abortive. Even the DSS went to his hotel to look for him to force him to quarantine centre but couldn’t find him,’’ a source said.
His hotel located at Umuguma in Owerri had been shut down today by the Imo State Government while all the guests quarantined.
His immediate family whom he visited in Ahiazu Mbaise on arrival has also been quarantined.
Earlier in his opening remarks, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr Boss Mustapha, promised that the briefing would be a daily event henceforth.
The purpose is to give updates and minimise the incidence of fake news in the country, he said, adding the briefing would be the only approved briefing of the task force, although appearances on TV by relevant members would be allowed.
He said President Muhammadu Buhari had constituted a committee headed by the Vice-President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, to address the economic challenges arising from COVID-19.
Latest on Coronavirus Convid-19