30 C
Abuja
Sunday, March 29, 2020

US Embassy, State Department Scramble to Arrange Flights For Stranded Citizens in Nigeria

Must Read

Kaduna Governor El-rufai Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Is Self-Isolating

  Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna state, has tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, he announced Saturday. In a...

COVID-19 Lockdown: NNPC nods uninterrupted petrol supply

  …says it has robust stock and supply plans, warns against panic buying The nation’s petroleum industry leader, the Nigerian National...

NNPC’s N11bn Unprecedented Rally Against Coronavirus

  Wale Solomon Nothing exemplifies the harmony and sense of corporate responsibility that now permeates the oil and gas industry as...

 

The United State’s Mission in Nigeria has urged all citizens stranded in the country to enroll in the Smart traveler Program to get up to date information about special flights to take them home.

The U.S Embassy Thursday sent out a notice  to all US citizens in Nigeria asking them to await alerts about emergency flights to the U.S since the options of commercial flights is non existent.

 

Meanwhile, the  U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday defended the Trump administration’s efforts to bring home Americans from foreign countries amid criticism that his department has left U.S. citizens stranded during a global pandemic.

“There’s still a lot of work to do. We’ve got a lot of people who are trying to get back this way, and with travel shut down in many of these countries without any notice or little notice, there’s still a major undertaking,” Pompeo said in a radio program monitored by Per Second News in Washington, DC.

A senior Department of State official said the US is working round the clock to bring back citizens stranded abroad by the sudden cut-off in commercial flights.

The official said 13,500 Americans of the 10 million who live abroad have so far asked for help getting home, in addition to 5,700 the state department has already brought back from 17 countries, including 800 from Wuhan at the start of the crisis and 1,200 from Morocco last week.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Kaduna Governor El-rufai Tests Positive For Coronavirus, Is Self-Isolating

  Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna state, has tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, he announced Saturday. In a...

COVID-19 Lockdown: NNPC nods uninterrupted petrol supply

  …says it has robust stock and supply plans, warns against panic buying The nation’s petroleum industry leader, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has advised...

NNPC’s N11bn Unprecedented Rally Against Coronavirus

  Wale Solomon Nothing exemplifies the harmony and sense of corporate responsibility that now permeates the oil and gas industry as the recent announcement by the...

High Number of Chinese Tourists Responsible for Italy’s Coronavirus Woes – US Task Force

  Dr. Anthony Fauci, chief medical advisor to the Trump administration’s coronavirus task force, said Thursday that Italy has been impacted particularly badly by the...

The Day In Pictures: Buhari, minister of health and DG NCDC at the Villa

  President, Muhammadu Buhari Saturday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, met with the Minister of Health, Prof Osagie Ehanire, and the Director-General of the Nigeria Centre...

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -