CrimeTop Story

Gunmen kidnap 19 bus passengers in Rivers state

1k


[dropcap]G[/dropcap]unmen kidnapped 19 bus passengers  in Rivers state, police said on Friday, in the latest of a series of abductions in recent weeks.

Rivers state police spokesman Nnamdi Omoni said the attack happened on Thursday and that police had so far managed to rescue 12 of the victims.

“Security operatives are still combing the bush the victims were taken into,” he told reporters.

But there have now been at least three attacks against commercial buses in the past four weeks, suggesting sustained economic hardship is making anyone a target.

The latest incident involved an 18-seater bus operated by the state-owned Rivers Mass Transit Company, which had 19 people on board, said Chukwdumebi Lucky, a colleague of the driver.

The bus was travelling from Port Harcourt to Owerri, the capital of neighbouring Imo state, when it was intercepted, he added.

Gunmen previously kidnapped 16 people from a bus on the same road on August 28.

A spokesman for the bus operator said no-one was seriously injured in the latest abduction.

 

Author

See also  Rivers Gov. Fubara Gets Ultimatum: Resign or Face Impeachment, Says APC Chair Okocha

Leave a comment

Related Articles

NPA MD Dantsoho Calls for Urgent Modernization of West Africa’s Ports

By Joycelyn Ellakeche Adah Ships are expanding, cargo loads are heavy, and...

Tinubu Not Renaming Nigeria or Scrapping Sharia, Presidency Fires Back at Viral Fake News

The Presidency on Thursday dismissed as “false, dangerous and provocative” a viral...

Breaking: Court Voids INEC’s Shortened Timelines for 2027 Party Primaries, Candidate Substitution

By Omoyeni Ojeifo An Abuja Federal High Court has ruled that INEC...

Just In: President Tinubu Appoints Segun Aina to Succeed Oloyede as JAMB Registrar

President Bola Tinubu has appointed Segun Aina, a professor of Computer Engineering...