By Ajuma Edwina Ameh
“Investigations about the suspects had reached an advanced stage and promised that the government would make a statement in that direction in due course”
“As per as terrorism funding and financing is concerned, we have succeeded in identifying those that are allegedly responsible for funding same and we are blocking the leakages associated with funding”
Justice Minister and Attorney-General of the Federation, Malam Abubakar Malami, has defended the Federal Government’s stance on not naming and shaming of Boko Haram sponsors revealed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE), saying it can jeopardise investigations.
Malami, however, assured that the government would leave no stone unturned in prosecuting Boko Haram financiers and stepping up the fight against terrorism in Nigeria.
Addressing journalists in New York, U.S. on the sidelines of the ongoing United Nations 75th General Assembly, Malami said investigations about the suspects had reached an advanced stage and promised that the government would make a statement in that direction in due course.
Persecondnews recalls that the federal government had in May 2021 announced that it would soon begin the prosecution of some highly placed Nigerians suspected to be financing terrorism in the Northeast after a report by the United Arab Emirates authorities identified six Nigerians as financiers of terrorism.
“Time is not ripe for holistic disclosures so as not to pre-empt the investigation process.
“The prime object remains the attainment of peace and security of our dear nation.
“As per as terrorism funding and financing is concerned, we have succeeded in identifying those that are allegedly responsible for funding same and we are blocking the leakages associated with funding while embarking on aggressive investigation that is indeed impacting positively in terms of the fight against terrorism.
“The truth of the matter is that investigation is ongoing and advancing. For the purpose of investigation, I would not like to be pre-emptive in terms of making disclosures that will have effect of undermining the successes we are recording,” Malami said in a statement by his spokesman, Umar Gwandu, on Wednesday and given to Persecondnews.
According to the minister, whatever the government does in terms of detention and arrest is indeed backed up by judicial processes.
Malami, however, blamed the delay in prosecuting Boko Haram sponsors on COVID-19 pandemic and the two-month strike embarked on by the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria earlier in the year.