Friday, 17 February 2017 05:05

Trump's new pick for national security adviser turns down offer

President Donald Trump’s choice for national security adviser, retired Vice Admiral Robert Harward, has turned down the offer, a senior White House official said on Thursday.

 

Harward was offered the job after Michael Flynn was fired by Trump on Monday for misleading Vice President Mike Pence over his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the United States.

The White House official said Harward cited family and financial reasons for opting not to take the job. Harward is a senior executive at Lockheed Martin.

Two sources familiar with the decision said Harward turned down the job in part because he wanted to bring in his own team.

That put him at odds with Trump, who had told Flynn’s deputy, K.T. McFarland, that she could stay.

 

Harward, currently a senior executive at Lockheed Martin, also cited the apparent lack of organization within the Trump White House, FT reported. 

 

“Harward is conflicted between the call of duty and the obvious dysfunctionality,” FT quoted the unidentified person as saying.

 

One unnamed friend of Harward told CNN that the former SEAL referred to Trump's offer as a "s--- sandwich."

 

Trump appeared to refer to Harward earlier in the day at a presidential news conference, saying: “I have somebody that I think will be outstanding for the position.” The president also made clear why he asked Flynn to resign, saying it was because the retired lieutenant general had not been completely truthful with Pence about his conversations with the Russian ambassador to the United States, Sergei Kislyak.

“The thing is, he didn’t tell our vice president properly, and then he said he didn’t remember. So either way, it wasn’t very satisfactory to me,” Trump said.

Last modified on Thursday, 23 February 2017 01:18

Highlights

Ekiti 2018: Who is Bimbo Daramola? A letter to the Church in Ekiti

Ekiti 2018: Who is Bimbo Daramola? A letter to the Church in Ekiti

In: Highlights

 By Dele Omoyeni Permit me to begin my exhortation by saying that Today there are over thirty (30) aspirants under the platform of the APC seeking to become the governor…

Readmore..

Despite New Promises To Reward Whistle-Blowers, Many Remain Skeptical

Despite New Promises To Reward Whistle-Blowers, Many Remain Skeptical

In: Highlights

Despite the assurances, the public reportedly remains sceptical about Federal Government's promise to reward whistle-blowers who provide information that leads to the recovery of stolen funds or assets.

Readmore..

New UN Report Finds Many Africans Unhappy, Says Little Has Changed In Nigeria Since 1960

New UN Report Finds Many Africans Unhappy, Says Little Has Changed In Nigeria Since 1960

In: Highlights

African countries do have a ‘happiness deficit’, according to a United Nations report released Monday.

Readmore..

Senators Seek To Halt Political Appointees From Heading Govt Agencies

Senators Seek To Halt Political Appointees From Heading Govt Agencies

In: Highlights

The Nigerian Senate on Monday proposed steps to halt the appointment of politicians by the Federal Government to head agencies and parastatals, ahead of career civil servants.

Readmore..

Majority of Nigerians say Buhari keeps promises, is a strong leader, can bring change - Adesina

Majority of Nigerians say Buhari keeps promises, is a strong leader, can bring change - Adesina

In: Highlights

President Muhammadu Buhari is fulfilling his campaign promises to Nigerians, particularly in stimulating the economy for job creation, anti-corruption campaign and security of lives and property, according to Special Adviser…

Readmore..

Buhari Govt engaged in “executive lawlessness

Buhari Govt engaged in “executive lawlessness" over disobedience of court orders- Femi Falana

In: Highlights

Mr Femi Falana, human rights lawyer and senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), has accused the Buhari led federal government of engaging in “executive lawlessness” by incessant disobedience to court orders.

Readmore..

Man burns down parents' house while trying to kill ants

Man burns down parents' house while trying to kill ants

In: Highlights

Fire fighters in the U.S State of Maine Tuesday said a man burned down his parents' house and killed three pets while trying to exterminate ants with matches.

Readmore..

 ADVERTISEMENT

   ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

 

 

PSN TV

Please enter youtube id.

ADVERTISEMENT

 

 

 

 

 

Newsletter

Community Impact

 


Please enter youtube id.