North Korea set to cancel meeting with Trump

North Korea set to cancel meeting with Trump

A senior North Korean official warned Wednesday that Pyongyang may cancel its summit meeting between Kim Jong Un and President Trump scheduled for June 12 in Singapore, if it is going to be pushed into giving up its nuclear arsenal.

If the Trump administration pressures Pyongyang to unilaterally abandon its nuclear weapons, North Korea would have to reconsider the summit, Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.

“If the U.S. is trying to drive us into a corner to force our unilateral nuclear abandonment we will no longer be interested in such dialogue and cannot but reconsider our proceeding to the DPRK-U.S. summit,” he said (The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is the formal name of North Korea).

Kim Kye Gwan accused the White House and State Department of attempting to turn North Korea into another Libya with its insistence on “abandoning nuclear weapons first, compensating afterwards.”

He called the approach “an awfully sinister move to impose on our dignified state the destiny of Libya or Iraq which had been collapsed due to yielding the whole of their country to big powers,” and singled out Trump’s hawkish national security adviser John Bolton for criticism.

“We do not hide our feeling of repugnance towards (Bolton),” Kim Kye Gwan sai

U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, has demanded the “complete, verifiable, irreversible denuclearization” of North Korea before the US offers any easing of economic sanctions on Pyongyang.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0