Former coordinating minister of the economy, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is part of the High Level Group that will make recommendations on governance of the Commonwealth Secretariat. Per Second News gathered that the eminent group is currently meeting in London at the Commonwealth’s headquarters.
The High Level Group operates independently of the Commonwealth Secretariat and according to reports from the Commonwealth, further members may be appointed today.
At their last Summit in Malta, Commonwealth heads of government directed the Secretary-General to form the Group. Today members are discussing the scope of the group’s work and the areas of governance it will examine over the coming months. The process is open and the High Level Group reports to the heads.
The issue of succession of the Head of the Commonwealth is not part of the Group’s mandate.
Anote Tong chairs the High Level Group. He served as President of Kiribati from 2003 to 2016. Other members include:
- Lord Howell: Former British energy secretary
- Louise Frechette: Former United Nations deputy secretary-general
- Robert Hill: Former Australian defence minister
- Dame Billie Miller: Former deputy prime minister of Barbados
- Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: Former Nigerian minister of finance
- Dr George Vella: Former foreign minister of Malta